GCongress> America's first documented, court ruled, slave owner

dennis helbig helbigdennis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:12:58 CDT 2012

America’s first slave owner was a black
man.<http://cofcc.org/2012/03/americas-first-slave-owner-was-a-black-man/>
Actual drawing of Anthony Johnson,
the first slave owner in the colonies

*According to colonial records, the first*
*slave owner in the United States was *
*a black man.*
Prior to 1655 there were no legal slaves in the colonies, only indentured
servants. All masters were required to free their servants after their time
was up. Seven years was the limit that an indentured servant could be held.
Upon their release they were granted 50 acres of land. This included any
Negro purchased from slave traders. Negros were also granted 50 acres upon
their release.
Anthony Johnson was a Negro from modern-day Angola. He was brought to the
US to work on a tobacco farm in 1619. In 1622 he was almost killed when
Powhatan Indians attacked the farm. 52 out of 57 people on the farm
perished in the attack. He married a female black servant while working on
the farm.
When Anthony was released he was legally recognized as a “free Negro” and
ran a successful farm. In 1651 he held 250 acres and five black indentured
servants. In 1654, it was time for Anthony to release John Casor, a black
indentured servant. Instead Anthony told Casor he was extending his time.
Casor left and became employed by the free white man Robert Parker.
Anthony Johnson sued Robert Parker in the Northampton Court in 1654. In
1655, the court ruled that Anthony Johnson could hold John Casor
indefinitely. The court gave judicial sanction for blacks to own slave of
their own race. Thus Casor became the first permanent slave and Johnson the
first slave owner.
Whites still could not legally hold a black servant as an indefinite slave
until 1670. In that year, the colonial assembly passed legislation
permitting free whites, blacks, and Indians the right to own blacks as
slaves.
By 1699, the number of free blacks prompted fears of a “Negro
insurrection.” Virginia Colonial ordered the repatriation of freed blacks
back to Africa. Many blacks sold themselves to white masters so they would
not have to go to Africa. This was the first effort to gently repatriate
free blacks back to Africa. The modern nations of Sierra Leone and Liberia
both originated as colonies of repatriated former black slaves.
However, black slave owners continued to thrive in the United States.
By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black
slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in
the city of New Orleans alone.
Sources:
John Casor <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Casor>
Anthony Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_%28colonist%29>